Originally posted on A&P's Blog:
- Used to/Would + infinitive
- Did (not) + use to + infinitive
- Did … use to + infinitive
We use both of these to talk about things in the past which we don’t do now or are not happening now:
- She used to hate her job until she got a promotion.
- When he was at university, he would sleep until noon at the weekends.
Difference between ‘would’ and ‘used to’:
- We only use ‘would’ to describe actions or situations that were repeated again and again and again… But we use ‘used to’ for any extended action or situation in the past.
- Would is unusual in the negative form and in Yes/ No questions.
“BBC Learning English & Cambridge Grammar for IELTS”